Monday, June 20, 2011

Congratulations, Polly and Ralph!


Sixty years is a long time to spend with another person.  It is probably appropriate that the diamond is the symbol for this anniversary - diamonds only form after many years of intense pressure!  Polly and Ralph have lived through more than most of us reading this now can really imagine - and have come through shining, shall we say, like diamonds.

They have touched many, many people during those sixty years.  A number - too many, they would say - have passed on, and can tell their stories only when we all meet in glory.  But Ralph and Polly still have many friends (and family!) here whose lives they have touched.

This website is presented to you who love them so you can express some of your thoughts to them.  [They don't know about this yet - please don't tell them! And it would be best to NOT use Facebook to communicate about this site yet - they do get on FB from time to time...]  It will be presented to them with your comments on the weekend of June 25, when the family is gathered for one more wedding (Timothy Brown and Kim Dykwell).

So please take a moment and add a comment with your memories and expressions of congratulations - and come back from time to time to see who else has added theirs.

36 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ralph and Polly! I figured that we've been associated with you most of those years. It seems long ago and far away that we lived together in Ratodero and from then on became like family. Up close and personal, we have seen the love and devotion you have for each other. You always reached out to others, sharing your hearts, home, and love. You have been a team. We called Ralph "the marriage counselor." This was said with humor, but we also knew that you both had the wisdom and experience to earn that title.

    An unkown author wrote a WEDDING PRAYER in which the words no doubt came from experience. Let me quote: "Far more than passion's passing flame has fused our single hearts. The vow we make in heaven's name one common future charts. Through sorrow, joy, temptation, strain, affliction, rapture, tears; Lord, let our vows endure and gain their meaning through the years. If time dilutes what we feel now and rich desires grow thin, May we by grace draw from our vow the strength to love again. Then at our death, O God, accept this life-long gift of praise: The witness of a promise kept through all our married days." Your marriage is an answer to such a prayer and the profound example you have set is an inspiration to us all. May the Lord give you many more years to love and cherish each other. We are honored to share in your joyful celebration

    With love,

    Hu and Bettie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Brown family -- and it all started with Ralph and Polly; you have been such an inspiration over the years, starting in Ratodero and continuing on in many other places stretching from northern Sindh to western Massachusetts. One of the privileges of growing up in Pakistan was to acquire an "extended family," and I am certainly very proud and happy to call Polly "Auntie" and Ralph "Uncle"! Congratulations on sixty years together and thank you for providing such a wonderful example to everyone else! Love, regards and best wishes, Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Ralph and Polly: The first time Sam and I ever saw a picture of you (on those little prayer cards), Sam said, "They look like such a nice couple!" Little did we know then what we know now! I am so thankful for the privilege of being part of your missionary family, working with you all those years in Pakistan, and realizing that you, indeed, are among the real "buzurgs" of our clan. You have been an inspiration to all of us all these years and I thank God for you. I pray that God will give you many more years to serve Him and live for Him. You are greatly loved and appreciated. Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the 2010 Pakistan reunion, all I wanted to do was look and look at all of my "aunties" and "uncles" who were such an integral part of my life, and say "thank you!" My heart overflowed with gratitude for the privilege of growing up in Pakistan and being known by and knowing such men and women of faith and love for Jesus. Even though we weren't with your mission, and therefore not usually in proximity to you, my memories of you two are precious. Thanks for writing the MCS song, Ralph! And for writing your book, Polly! Your enthusiasm for life and love for each other are a real testimony to all of us. Congratulations on 60 years together! With love, Patty (Irwin) McGarvey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Grandma and Grandpa:

    Sometimes, when conversing amongst friends or strangers, I get deep enough into the conversation where not just my immediate families history pours out, but the history of my parents' parents pours out. I remark on the fact that two separate people, from two different families, joined together in marriage and by this, you changed generations and generations of individuals. When you listened to God's calling on your life, you changed all of us, even the little ones that can't even speak yet. When you took that boat to Pakistan, what you did was set a fire in the souls of all your children, making them passionate about different cultures. You set a fire that dwells in me. The uniqueness of your story gives me great hope to know that two people, who listened to God's call, effected their five kids, who, in turn, effected their kids (17 kids!) and now, some of us are affecting spouses and even grandkids! You sparked inside all of us an appreciation for a good curry and a deep sense of belonging in airports. You may not see your commitment to Christ as such an inspiration, but your marriage truly is incredible and what you did, even through the difficult times, is a testimony to God's amazing hand on each of our lives. You persisted and remained dedicated, allowing all of us to explore the possibilities on this earth, the possibilities of traveling and seeing different ways of life. Thank you for sparking an eternal flame in my heart, and the hearts of all my cousins. You changed generations of people.

    Love you so very much and so glad to call you my very own. What a beautiful relationship you have and I hope one day I will celebrate my 60th with someone as amazing and funny as Grandpa!
    Infinite love and Congrats!
    Stefanie S. Gardner (#16)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, how do I ever follow up Steffie's comment??

    Dadi and Dada,

    You have indeed been an encouragement to this "younger generation" that commitment, faithfulness, love, and joy are all possible. We know that it is not because you found the "perfect person" - either of you! - but because you are constantly becoming more and more like Christ that your lives and love shine. Thank you for proving God's faithfulness; for loving Jesus, and the people of Pakistan, and your kids, and your grandkids, and your great-grandkids.

    We love you and look forward to many more years.

    Much love,
    Melanie Joy Brown (#1)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Polly and Ralph, 60 years!!! How God has blessed you both.... to have each other -grow together- polish each other and love each other all these years!
    The older I get.... the more I value the wonderful friends and fellowship we had in Pakistna. You both were and are a major part of that circle of friends. Thank you!
    with love in Christ, Dorothy Wilder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth Brown JohnsonJune 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM

    As the only family member who has known
    Ralph from birth (I was 3-sorry I don't recall those first years), he had a good start with a Godly mother, 4 sisters(a help in "getting along") and friends who appreciated his humor (yeah, Stefanie!).
    The good sense to pick Polly to share his life and ministry shows us God uses our faculties to accomplish His will in our lives.
    Thanks, dear, dear, brother and sister, for your love. AND, blessings on all your days!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ralph & Polly,
    Congratulations on 60 years of marriage! Thanks for testifying to the Lord's grace and faithfulness by the faithfulness of your commitment to each other. Your senses of humor and steadfast trust in the Lord's presence and provision in the midst of life's challenges is a worthy example!
    Blessings for many more years!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though we've come into the picture very late, I thank God it is not too late! I am grateful for the authenticity you model and the loving wisdom you share!!
    Blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were 30 years married at the time I met you when you were visiting Canada. Two years later I joined the team in Shikarpur and had the privilege of being oriented by you as I learned the language and culture. Sitting together on a charpai in the early morning light of the Marawari village drinking tea, I had no idea I would come to call you Mom and Dad Brown and then "Grandma and Grandpa". As your colleague, "bahu"(youngest dutiful daughter-in-law), and now pastor's wife, I can say on many fronts THANK YOU!! Thank you for your love for and faithfulness to God, each other, your family and the world God calls you to. It is a unique privilege to share the joy of ministry together with ones in laws and to be partners in the Gospel. This spring it was refreshing to see your continued desire to live out a godly marriage and interact together through the marriage class. You have shaped for good the generations present and yet to come! I love you and thank God for you both. Congratulations on this special day. Love Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unlike Carol I don't remember our first meeting 48 years and three months and three days ago, but I am just as thankful for the legacy of faithfulness you have bequeathed to us. You also left me many other things -- a love of reading and of learning, love for Pakistan and the world, and, not least, very strong legs. Since I was the last of five and an unexpected arrival, you were determined, Mom, that I was not going to slow you down. As soon as I was able to walk you marched my toddler legs around the hills of Murree non-stop. I've had strong legs ever since, and also a great lesson in the long-lasting, strengthening effects of perseverance. Thanks! Love, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful for who you are and the life you've led. From small town Massachusetts to Pakistan back to Massachusetts and all the stories and memories in between you have worked through life with tenacity. As a child I took that for granted, as an adult I see clearly the modelling that took place for so many years. You are deeply loved! Happy Anniversary Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just yesterday, Mom, you were making a casual comment about how Dad managed his meals when he was down in Sindh alone and you were up in Murree coping with five (5) kids. Your love and faithfulness, and encouragement of one another even during those intense times and great distances (telephone? what's a telephone?) is witness to your example of faith--that God could and would look after your family. Thanks for being an example, not only to us, but to our kids . . . and, we trust, to their kids as well. We love you!
    Love,
    Tom (& Terry)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Ralph and Polly! Sixty years! Congratulations! What a testimony to the world (and the church) of the power of love and commitment. I have been blessed to know you over the past 28 plus years and your commitment and love for the Lord and to each other has been an encouragement and challenge to me in this age of superficial Christianity and selfishness. May the name of our Lord continue to be glorified in your lives in the future as it has in the past!
    Love, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ralph and Polly,
    Congratulations on 60 years. It blesses me to see the two of you together walking with the Lord all these years. I have only known you for 3 years, I appreciate the stability and the maturity you bring to Stoney Brook. Be blessed this day and the days to come. love, Carol P.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy, happy 60th to Granny and Grampy. I love you both so much.

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hearty congratulations, Ralph and Polly, on this wonderful day of celebration! You have been instruments of the Lord's blessings for many years. Your faith, good cheer, and kindliness continue to inspire those around you. God bless you today and in the the days to come.
    George

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, having started the ball rolling at the beginning, I guess I really should put in my own comment before you guys see this site:

    Mom and Dad, in celebrating Tim's wedding this year (thank you so much for making the effort to come - we appreciate it!) I have become aware of several things: One is how fast time flies - 27 years since Tim was born, 29 years since Susanna and I started our own married life all seem like the blink of an eye. I can imagine how it feels for you to look back over six decades and wonder where the time went. But another, more important, is how faithfulness and love and steadfastness shines in a world of faithlessness. You two have raised a family and created a clan of enormously diverse people but all have been affected and infected by your faithfulness to each other, which we know comes from your faithfulness to and love for your God.

    Thank you!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAPPY ANNIVERSAY!
    I was so blessed and encouraged (and honestly a bit overwhelmed) when soon after becoming engaged to Tom, you sent a letter stating that you had been praying for me since Tom was little. Praying for the wife he would marry! You have continued to be a blessing and an encouragement and I have appreciated the example of Steadfastness, Love and Devotion - extended to the generations as so aptly lauded by grandchild #16!
    You are worthy of the "great" in greatgrandparents! :)
    love
    Terry
    Phil 1:6

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Ralph & Polly,

    We have been so blessed by the Lord to have been brought together in fellowship with you folks at Stony Brook. Sharing with us how He has used you as his vessels through the years in many circumstances in the past has truly been encouraging for us. However the present work He is accomplishing through you is just as exciting and we look to the future with even greater anticipation. Here’s to the next 60! :>)

    Our love,
    Pat/Rick Light

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary Gramma and Grampa!! You two have been such a solid rock for this family and are appreciated probably more than you know. I love you both very much and hope that my parents can be as awesome grandparents to my (future, potential) kids as you have been to us! That means that you need to teach my dad all your great jokes Grampa!

    60 years is a long way to come, and I wish all the best for the ones ahead of you.

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gramma and Grampa,

    Congratulations! I love you so much! I feel privileged every day that I am a part of this wonderful, fun, travel-loving, book-loving family you began.

    Love,

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Grandma and Grandpa Brown:

    Congratulations on an amazing 60 years of marriage! I don't know that I could necessarily add too much to what's already been said by others, but I am so thankful for the ongoing blessings that continue to be poured out on the greater Brown family.

    Stefanie and I were grateful to have involved you in our wedding 5 and a half years ago - in fact, I believe I still remember the three points of Grandpa's meditation, how he almost forgot to let us kiss, and the absolutely glowing grin he had on his face as he sent us forth.

    And now there is a thriving and busy fourth generation who will in time continue this great legacy :-D

    Love,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! By the faithfulness and grace of God and two wonderful people in love we celebrate 60 years of bliss and service together. We know only a small portion of that journey but God in His wise providence has led you all through the years giving you His strength for your day. We rejoice with you that your lives and ministry have impacted for our Lord Jesus Christ, each one of your wonderful family as well as a great host of others both at home and abroad. What a great legacy! We thank the Lord for you both and for the privilege of being drawn in to the Brown family by the marriage of Carol and Dan. The Lord Himself will no doubt offer His commendation even as He did to Mary of Bethany, "You have wrought a good work on me." God bless you through the days and years to come.
    Love Bob and Jean

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Anniversary Ralph & Polly,
    What a life the two of you have lived and exampled to so many across continents and miles and memories and over cups of tea.

    It has been my great privilege to join into the Brown family tapestry, by marrying your only daughter, Marilyn!

    I count it a great leavening in the bread of five children, 1/2 Gardner and 1/2 Brown...each with unique personalities. But you have honored them as grandparents and they love you deeply for your investment in their lives and hearts and minds and prayers.

    May you celebrate many more years this side of heaven.

    Cliff (aka your 'favorite' son-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Grandma and Grandpa Brown,
    Congratulations on this day of days!
    I remember so many years of visiting you as I was growing through my teen-age and early adult years, and each time, Grandpa would ask (with that twinkle in his eye!) "So, Christi-Lynn, how is your social life?" I know now, the source of that oft-asked question was not mere curiosity, but your own joy-filled (and God-centered!) life together and a desire that your offspring experience that same thing. I do “thank my God every time I remember you,” and hope and pray that he will continue to use you and your marriage for his glory in all future situations and circumstances. Thank you for your love and care, and lots of love from your Vermont family!
Love, Christi-Lynn (Craig and Thomas, too)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ralph and Polly, Congratulations for 60 years of marriage! You have been a model of love and faithfulness to many for a long time. It is not only your love and commitment to each other, of which I speak. But also your love for God, His people, and those not yet reached. Together as one - you have lived well! Thank you for your faithfulness - it has mattered.
    With love and respect,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aunt Polly and Uncle Ralph, Congratulations on 60 years together. I love your story, I love your family. You are both truly gracious and faithful people. Thank you for the example you have been to me.
    Love,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aunt Polly and Uncle Ralph!
    I remember how much we looked forward to your coming home on furlough. Seeing you was always exciting. . . so many interesting things to tell us about Pakistan and your travels. You were, and continue to be, an inspiration. May you continue to experience showers of blessings in the years ahead. Happy 60th Anniversary! Les'Anne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Grandma and Grandpa,
    Congratulations on 60 great year, and to many more! We love you,
    Mark, Maggie and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bernie and CarolynJuly 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM

    Dear Polly and Ralph,

    We are happy to have met and interacted with you during our time at Stony Brook. Your exemplary marriage and life together, which shows what God can do when you are faithful, has been a wonderful blessing.

    The Nestor's

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
    I am so happy that I got to actually spend part of your anniversary with you!! I know i'm super belated in commenting...but here is a cool quote that I think really captures the vision and passion for God that you have shared: "Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    thanks for loving each other well and being such a great example for all of your family and friends!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  34. I,like Sarah, am belated in my greetings of congratulations... (is it a Holmes side thing?). As many have written, I too have been drawn in to your Brown clan extended family on many occasions and been present to witness birthday,graduation and holiday celebrations - including the annual wood throwing parties at 8 acre woods. Ralph, I will always remember you asking me each time we met "Nancy, when are we going to organize a New England concert tour - I'll be your manager?". I was even present when Dan presented Polly with the first copy of "Jars of Clay". You both have added much to my life and I appreciate often being around the table when stories were told of long ago and recently.... with laughter, solemn gratitude to God and great faith being evidenced. Your life together as one has been a blessing to many and has brought many together (not to mention Carol and Dan). As I recall you asked Carol many years ago if she would be open to an arranged marriage (by you Ralph!) and little did you know the Great Marriage Matchmaker had your son as a match for Carol!..... and from that marriage have come 3 of my wonderful nieces and nephews. Congratulations on never wavering from your commitment made 60 years ago....."I do" and you did!!! and still do!!. love Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  35. Remember that one time there was a stranger at your anniversary dinner, who just happened to be passing through and be a friend of a friend of the family =).

    I really enjoyed getting to celebrate with you and hear your amazing stories over dinner and root beer floats. Thanks for letting me share in your joy. You are an amazing example of the beauty of marriage...what a witness you are to the love that comes through being united in Christ.

    ~Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  36. You both are such a wonderful example of faithfulness, humility and love. We are so blessed by your witness and friendship! Your love for life, each other and the Lord are truly beautiful- Love, The Goulds
    ps- Bet you didn't think anyone would be this tardy in posting!!

    ReplyDelete